Significant updates were made to MLA style guidelines effective April, 2009. They are:
- Use italics, not underlining
- URLs are unnecessary (but they may be added if you think the information is helpful)
- Continuous pagination doesn't matter - instead, always include volume and issue when citing a scholarly journal article
- Add the medium (format) of the publication being cited (e.g. "Print" or "Web")
- Abbreviations will be used to acknowledge missing details within citations for online publications ("n.d." for no date, "N.p." for no publisher, "n. pag." for no pagination, "n.p." for no place of publication)
Adapted from: OWL at Purdue University.